Week 5 story: Welcome to my Crib

Story now in my portfolio
Magic Lamp
Source: Pixabay
Hello MTV my name is Genie, you can just call me Geen for short, and welcome to my magical crib! So far I've been living here for about a millennium now and don't plan on leaving anytime soon. Currently this house is just over 100 square inches and I plan to make some additions hopefully sometime in the near future. These additions will give me something to since I am stuck in here until somebody rubs my house. Oh yeah I almost forgot to tell you that special detail, this lamp is magically and if someone on the outside rubs it then I’ll have to grant them some wishes! Well enough of the small talk let’s get started with the tour of the house.

As you enter into my humble abode, you will first walk into the foyer but I call it “the lobby.” I call this the lobby because it is the first room you have to go through to get to anywhere else in the house. Here I will usually come and great my guest so it just makes sense for it to be "the lobby".

Now if you follow me down the hallway we will enter into my living room. Here is where I spend a majority of my time either watching the latest movies that are out or playing some Fortnite on my 80" Smart TV that I have here hanging on the wall. While playing games or watching movies I’m sitting on this customized all white leather couch which is the comfiest couch you’ll ever sit on. Since the couch is white though, drinks or food aren’t allowed in the living room.

Okay so if you will now follow me to the kitchen we can see what we got cooking. Since I am a genie and all, I have some magic self-cooking utensils which make me food whenever I am hungry. Looks like today the magic utensils are whipping up some Enchiladas, my favorite! Now of course we have to check out the fridge while we are in the kitchen. As you can see my fridge is decked out with all the essentials like Voss water, fruits, all kinds meats, some pizza rolls, and whatever else you can think of we got it!

Alright now that we've scavenged through the kitchen lets go see where I sleep every night. This right here is the master bedroom. As you can see I have the king size bed with the 1500 thread count Egyptian cotton sheets. If you turn the corner you can see the master bathroom that is attached which includes the rainfall shower with a TV on the inside so you never have to miss your show. Also in the corner of the room is the walk in closet with all my fresh genies pants.

DING DONG

Wait a second, did you hear that sound? It sounds like someone has rubbed the lamp, so I got get out of here and go make some wishes. Thank you again for coming to visit my magical house, but it is about that time where you have to leave! Maybe you can come back sometime in the future when I add some new additions to my house.

Author's Note
The story that I had my idea from was the story of “Aladdin and the Wonderful Lamp” in the Arabian Nights story. For my story I decided go into a side thought I had from the story about what the genie is doing while he is staying inside the lamp waiting for someone to rub the outside. So to portray this thought I decided to make the genie in an episode of MTV Cribs showing off his lamp and everything he has in it. I feel like the thought of what is inside the genies lamp is a common thought but never answered. Doing this TV show gives an idea of what the genie might do while he’s waiting for someone to rub his lamp and also gives somewhat of an idea on what inside the lamp is like. Seeing how the genie is magical and can have anything he wants I tried to give a fancy feel to the house and also had some modern things. I also put in the point at which the lamp was rubbed with a door bell to indicate on how the genie knows when it’s time to come out of the lamp to grant wishes.

Bibliography: "The Arabian Nights' Entertainments" by Andrew lang



Comments

  1. Hi, Devin! I really enjoyed reading your story and seeing how you were able to put your own spin on one of my all time favorite classic stories. Although the Disney version is my absolute favorite telling of this story, I do like how you changed it, added to it, and how you made it your own. I have always wondered what it would look like inside of Genie's lamp, so this was a really cool story for me to read. I have also wondered what he would do to pass the time while waiting for someone to come and wake him up. Overall I really enjoyed your story!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Devin! I think this story is super creative! I like how you focused on something that wasn't really discussed in the story, but I had always wondered what the inside of a genie lamp might look like! I especially liked how you framed it within MTV Cribs; it definitely made the story more interesting and modernized. I also liked the twist at the end where the genie has to go grant wishes. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Devin! I absolutely love this story idea as I was a huge MTV cribs fan. I used to love all of the old MTV shows, you did a great job tying in this throw back and the Genie's character. You did a great job in your descriptions, especially how you modernized elements of the lamps interior. Also, nice job in ending the story!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Devin, I thought it was super funny that you decided to do a spin off of MTV Cribs from a genie's perspective. I liked that you made the genie more of a modern character, playing Fortnite, fridge decked out with pizza rolls and Dr. Pepper, he sounds like a cool dude. With genies generally tricking people with their wishes though, I wonder how this particular genie would go about that? Overall, entertaining story!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Devin! I liked how you told your story as an episode of MTV Cribs- it made the story fun to read and relatable! It was funny to read about all the rooms inside such as small lamp, but it just served as a reminder that you are telling the story of a magical being. With all the cool things in the lamp, it makes me wonder if the genie can grant himself wishes to upgrade his lamp.

    ReplyDelete

  6. I saw the title of this story and was instantly drawn in! I think that it is a really creative and fun concept to write about. Being able to imagine what the inside of Geen’s bottle looks like is really interesting. I really like the way that you made it modern. Geen playing fortnite is funny! The ending was a great way to wrap everything up. Great story!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction: A story all about me!

week 4 story: The Favorite Child