week 9 story: The tiger and the woman

This story is now in my Portfolio
Tiger
Source: Maxpixel
Deep down in the jungle of the north there is a village in which a society of a couple hundred people live. In this village there is a woman by the name of Alexis who has lived at the village for over 50 years and the village honors her as if she was there queen. One day a younger member of the community within the village went up to the woman and asked, "Hello Alexis, I hope you don't mind but I was wondering why the village honors you so much, what is your backstory?" The woman then told the community member to sit down because the story may take awhile.

It was 50 years ago and I was just over the age of 18 and I was having some sort of senses that were drawing my into the jungle. These sense became stronger and stronger as time went on and eventually I could not withstand them anymore and decided to leave the village. Now leaving the village may seem scary with wild beast roaming the jungle especially at night, but I felt no fear at all, it was almost as if something was calling me in. So I left the jungle and made my journey to wherever my sense took me.

Step after step I continued through the jungle not knowing where I was going. Time would fly by hour by hour and before I knew it the dark was approaching. Most people would be afraid of being in the jungle alone in the dark but I still had no fear. As the darkness approached I decided to find some shelter where I could sleep through the night. After what seemed like hours of looking, I did not find any sort of shelter to stay at and ended up laying on a tree to sleep for the night. I shortly fell asleep after laying down from the exhausting hike I had for the day. Everything was calm through the first few hours of the night.

In the middle of the night I had woken up from so strange noises that seemed near by. The noises seemed like it was from something big in size. The noise seemed to get closer and closer but strangely enough I still wasn't scared. It had felt like this was my calling and I was destined the meet whatever was heading this way. The noise then got even closer and I could see a figure nearby. The figure got even closer and I could make out that it was a tiger. The tiger approached me and sat down right in front of me staring into my eyes. The tigers eyes didn't move sight from my eyes and it felt as if the tiger was taring into my soul. I reached out to the tiger and put my palm on it forehead and at this moment I felt a connection with the tiger. The tiger then laid down next to me and slept by my side until the morning.

As the sun rose, the tiger was still by my side. After the whole experience during the night, I felt as if what was drawing me to the jungle was found. I then decided it was time to get back to the village and be back with my people. I got up and started to walk by towards the village with the tiger following right by my side. As I got back to the village everyone was in awe with the tiger being next to me. From this day on everyone honored me as if I was their queen because they saw me as a strong and powerful being with a tiger following me around. Since that day people will bow when I walk by and even offer me gifts. The tiger stayed with me for about a year until one night I woke up and he was gone. To this day I still have yet to see him again, but I can still feel his presence out there somewhere.

So that is my story to why I am honored here in this village.

Authors note
For this story I decided to keep the same basic concept of the original story about how a woman in a village was praised. Both my story and the original have a woman leaving her village and having no fear about whats out in the open. Both story's share the same on concept of the woman meeting a tiger at night and it sort of protecting the woman. The difference between my story and the original is that I adding some more detail to the story and also took out a few things. I decided to make the woman have a sense that caused her to leave the village instead of a hatred for men. Also I did not have the women stumble upon another village while out. The details I added were that the woman, a bit of explanation on why people praised the woman because of the tiger, and the tiger had a connection with the woman in which he stayed with her in the village for a year. Also I had some smaller details such as ages and dialogue between the woman and person asking the woman the question.

Bibliography: Laos folk-lore by Katherine Neville Fleeson


Comments

  1. Really cool story! There was so much suspense building up to the moment when the tiger appeared. I really liked that. I think it'd be cool if you gave a more in-depth reason as to why she became queen after being seen with the tiger. Even though, we can kinda guess it's just because she was with a tiger, unharmed, and they're dangerous lol. But maybe it add even more surprise if tigers were revered among the woman's people. Other than that, I just found a couple spelling mistakes in your second-last paragraph. The first, "the tiger was taring into my soul." *Staring. The second, "put my palm on it forehead." *on its. Awesome story overall though! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was a fun story to read! I think at the beginning it felt a little slow to me but it really got moving quickly. I think you did a great job creating the anticipation up to the point where the woman makes contact with the tiger. Perhaps adding some sort of scenario where the tiger saves the woman from another beast or the woman saves the tiger from a bad situation would add a lot of depth to your story and show the reader why this connection existed between them. Great writing here!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction: A story all about me!

week 4 story: The Favorite Child